The most common excuses are I don’t have enough time or money.
If your excuse is the amount of time, then that is not true because we all have the same 24 hours in a day. It’s all about how you use your time and how you prioritize. Make your goals a priority and you will no longer have an excuse of time. You can make the time if it is a priority, even if It means giving up some sleep.
If your excuse is money, then either find a way to make more money, decrease your expenses, or be resourceful and find somebody who can donate or lend money to you for what you need.
There are four ways to find out why you are making excuses.
- Maybe you are lying to yourself and you told yourself this is what you want when in reality you don’t want it.
- Maybe you don’t actually want the goals you made yourself, so it is not what you want to do and therefore you’re not going after the goals your set.
- Maybe somebody told you that you should have these goals, so you tell yourself that you want them, but in reality, you don’t.
- Maybe you actually do want to achieve your goals, but there is a pain or fear that is getting in the way. Either you’re afraid to achieve your goal or not to achieve your goal. But this fear is holding you back from going after what you want. Or maybe there’s a certain pain for going after what you want.
- Finally, maybe you don’t know how to get what you want because you do not have the right information. If that’s the case, then be resourceful and find out what you need to know to accomplish your goals. Find people who know, search online, look on YouTube, and network with people.
An example is exercising. Someone says that they want to exercise, but they don’t do it. Maybe they are lying to themselves and they don’t really want to. Maybe their friend, spouse, or family member told them to exercise so they tell themselves that they want to exercise, but in reality, they don’t want to. Maybe they have a fear of how they will look when they go to the gym. Maybe it’s too painful to work out. Therefore the person will say I don’t have time to go to the gym or I don’t have money to join a gym. Lastly, they don’t know what to do when they get to the gym, so they need to educate themselves on different exercises and how to properly perform them.
Understand what is holding you back from achieving your goals and going after what it is they really want.