Depression affects everything about you including your behavior, body and your ability to maintain a stable relationship. When an individual is suffering from depression, then you know he/she may be experiencing feelings of hopelessness, loneliness or sadness regularly. Other symptoms of depression include apathy, guilt, and worthlessness, among others. Additionally, depression makes you lose interest in activities that were once enjoyable. Many times, you keep harboring negative thoughts. Not only that, your appetite and sleep pattern changes. Your decision-making ability dwindles. You become angry for no reason. Worst of all, you begin to dwell on suicidal thoughts and feelings. This article outlines some of the different types of depression as well as depression in relationships and some helpful tips.
Types of Depression According to Symptoms
Not many people are aware that there are different types of depression. Medically, depression is diagnosed by examining the individual’s behavior as well as the symptoms of depression. Below is a list of the different types of depression according to symptoms
- Agitated depression - Do you feel agitated, both physically and mentally, on a regular basis? Are you having difficulty sleeping or relaxing? These are symptoms of depression
- Catatonic Depression - This can be identified when an individual becomes insensitive to happenings around him/her. Furthermore, the person may shy away from doing basic daily activities. Symptoms can also include repetitive actions
- Medication-induced depression - Prescription drugs such as stimulants, analgesics, antifungal, and steroids can also cause depression. And as the affected person continues to use these prescription drugs, the more aggravated the depression.
- Anxiety depression - One of the common types of depression is anxiety. The individual will likely suffer from panic attacks and social phobia. Furthermore, some kinds of stress disorders also fall into this category.
- Chronic depression - This is, by far, one of the worst kinds of depression. The affected persons experience dramatic changes in eating and sleeping pattern. In addition, the individual suffers from low self-esteem, fatigue, lack of concentration and hopelessness.
- Atypical Depression - Increased appetite, unusual weight gain as well as mood swings are symptoms of atypical depression. Other symptoms include fear of being rejected, sleepiness as well as heavy feeling in the limbs.
What about Minor depression?
Let’s take, for instance, you are just a little bit sad and you’re sick of taking anti-depressants, how do you go about finding a lasting solution? You can take active steps immediately. By so doing, consulting a doctor might be needless. Suppose you’re sad because you lost a loved one. Of course, being sad and emotional in this case is normal but the loss does not have to make your life miserable. Regain your happiness by being active. Don’t just sit there doing nothing – start taking action. Go read a book. Reading is, perhaps, an effective way to get rid of minor depression or sadness. Get your mind busy by doing something – watch movies or listen to good music. Overcoming minor depression depends solely on the way you handle it as well as your reaction to life in general. Other helpful ways to get rid of loneliness and sadness are listed below
- Get outdoors. Hangout with friends.
- Surf the internet or read local magazines to find out colorful events happening around you and attend some of these events.
- Visit a park and get close to nature.
- Talk to people. If you don’t want to discuss with your friends, there are lots of support groups out there – pick up your phone and place that call. Don’t wait.
- Start making plans. In truth, this might be a difficult task at first particularly when you’re depressed but you do it anyway. So start making plans right now. You will begin to feel better.
Maybe you are busy with work or still attending high school? Don’t skip any activity or task that needs to be completed. If you do have a job, create a morning routine – wake up early. Though this might be difficult as well, you’ll get used to it over time. Sticking to your regular routines, ensures your confidence doesn’t slip away. Be your own boss and remind yourself that you must get up in the early hours of the day to get yourself prepared for the day’s activities. Getting up in the morning is indeed an effective way to overcome depression. These kinds of action will help you get rid of the depression and you won’t need to consult a medical doctor.
However, if you’ve had an accident or a major tragedy, you may likely consult an expert for help. Go to a professional who does not prescribe anti-depressant medications. You need someone to talk you out of this problem. In this case, a professional counseling will do. Since minor depressions can be easily managed, seeking a professional counselor is the best solution. Of course, there are severe cases that require the use of prescription drugs, it’s best to not start there. When you’re sad and feeling lonely, start thinking of things that make you happy or better - do those things that make you happy.
Overcoming Depression in Relationships
Relationships suffer as a result of depression. Depressions and relationships are in most cases intertwined. Many relationships are marred by sadness, which ultimately leads to depressions. If you are in a relationship that only provides sad, negative moments, then it’s high time you did something to save it? Yes, you can save your relationship from being shattered by depression? Here are some helpful tips:
The power of communication
Are you feeling depressed because of lack of communication? Maybe your partner has refused to talk to you, then be the first to reach out to him/her. It may be because your partner is facing a lot of work pressure or some other stressor, thus resulting in the communication gap. Regardless of how complex the problem may seem, loving communication will help. Create time to talk to your partner respectfully.
Kiss and Make-up
Misunderstandings and arguments are part of a relationship but if left unresolved, it can lead to depression. Do everything it takes to patch up the misunderstanding with your partner. Regardless of how small the argument may be, it can escalate into something bigger over time if not handled maturely.
Baseless argument and fighting regularly can cause depression. If you don’t want to be among the millions of people worldwide caught in the web of depression, then learn to kiss and make up after having a misunderstanding with your partner as soon as possible. Depression and relationships issues are difficult to deal with but if addressed rightly and immediately, then you will enjoy a blissful relationship.
Just because you’re in a relationship doesn’t mean you won’t feel lonely sometimes. Do you feel depressed just because your partner isn’t spending quality time with you? Keep in mind that your partner may be working on his or her life goals. If you are depressed because your partner is chasing their life goals, pursue something you’re interested in. Instead of dwelling on negative thoughts whenever you feel lonely, keep yourself busy.
Consult a professional
Since depression is a clinical disorder, consult a professional counselor for help. Experts have field experience and tools and methods to tackle depression. And if your relationship is shaky, professional counselors can help your relationship get back on track. You and your partner will benefit from the expertise of a professional.
Many relationships are strengthened by the tools and methods they learn through counseling. Some simple ideas can have a tremendous impact on returning the joy to your life.
Many people believe that depression is a sign of weakness, but in truth, it is not. Getting out of depression is not an easy task and cannot be done single-handedly. As a matter of fact, it requires professional help. Some schools of thought believe that depression is caused as a result of biological changes, others believe that a chemical imbalance in the brain is the cause. Take some action to find a lasting solution as fast as possible.